Welcome to another episode of MALN Opinion+! We are excited to have a weekly program dedicated to discussing the concerns and opinions of Massachusetts’s Latino community.
We spoke with Alice Sweeney, director of the MA Department of Career Services, about the pandemic’s impacts on the state’s job market, resources for local Latinx or Hispanic workers, along with the department’s biggest goals for this year.
Director Sweeney shared that the COVID-19 recession has several unique trends compared to past U.S. recessions. Historically, recessions majorly impacted male workers but the current recession has disproportionately affected women employees—especially those of color. Learn more about the Department of Career Services’ work and its variety of resources in this week’s interview.
Resources mentioned in the video:
- MassHire Department of Career Services (MDCS) website: https://www.mass.gov/orgs/masshire-department-of-career-services
- Access MDCS Multilingual Services at: https://www.mass.gov/mdcs-multilingual-services
- Start your next job search with MassHire JobQuest: https://jobquest.dcs.eol.mass.gov/jobquest/Default.aspx
- The Career Center Seminar:
- Learn more about it here: https://www.mass.gov/service-details/career-center-seminar
- Register here: https://www.mass.gov/how-to/register-for-a-career-center-seminar-ccs